Chemical Health Risk Assessment
Human Health & Toxicology Services
The range of services we offer cover human health and ecological risk assessment for Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA) and contaminated site management; human health and environmental toxicology, including REACH analysis related to product development; public health considerations; chemical risk management; and technical support for regulatory authorisations, approvals and compliance.
Our consultants in human toxicology, aquatic and terrestrial toxicology, biochemistry, chemistry and geochemistry, fate and transport, including air, water and food chain modelling, can provide assistance at any stage of your project — from project planning and anticipating regulatory and public health concerns to assessing the potential human health and ecological risks associated with proposed sites or existing site contamination. We also perform complete inventories of chemical substances and provide exposure and risk assessments and compliance consulting.
The full range of our Human Health & Toxicology service capabilities in these four key areas:
- Human Health & Ecological Risk Assessment
- Toxicology Services
- REACH & Chemical Management Regulatory Services
- Public Health Assessment
- Aquatic Effects Assessments
Human Health & Ecological Risk Assessment Services
Our services in Human Health and Ecological Risk Assessment and Risk Management address contaminated sites and regulatory approvals for proposed private or public sector projects.
We use a cost-effective implementation of exposure and effects (toxicity) assessments to support the development of risk estimates and risk characterisation for site management planning and other purposes.
The services we offer are:
- Human health and ecological risk assessment guidance documents for regulatory agencies
- Environmental sampling to meet QA/QC guidelines
- Risk assessment of contaminants in terrestrial, water and sediment for both human health and ecological receptors
- Risk communication
- Risk management and prioritisation of issues for fiscal expenditures
- Dose-response evaluation
- Expert witness services
- Design and implementation of risk-based remedial plans
- Site monitoring and information management
- Development of guidance documents and policy white papers
REACH & Chemical Management Regulatory Services
REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals) is the European Union’s regulatory system for chemical substances.
The legislation aims to improve the protection of human health and the environment from the risks of chemical substances, and the safe use of substances throughout their lifecycle.REACH applies to the manufacture, import, marketing and use of chemical substances, substances in preparations, as well as for substances in articles.
Chemical Management Services
Our consultants identify areas to manage your risk and maintain compliance with an ever-changing regulatory environment with the following services:
- Strategic REACH planning
- Management of Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
- Technical support for chemical management regulations such as REACH-EU, CLP-EU (Classification, Labelling & Packaging), GHS (Globally Harmonized System), NICNAS-Australia (National Industrial Chemicals Notification and Assessment Scheme), TSCA-USA (Toxic Substance Control Act) and similar regulations in Turkey, Korea, China, Japan, Brazil and others
- Registration and authorisation of chemicals according to REACH services (European Union’s Regulation (EC) 1907/2006, Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals).
- Determination of company roles, obligations and deadlines
- Chemical inventories
- Communication in the supply chain
- Assistance (management and expertise) in SIEFs and Consortia
- Third Party Representative (TPR) services
- Services associated with testing and measurements:
- Management of laboratories carrying out REACH-related tests (physico-chemical, toxicological, ecotoxicological tests)
- Workplace quality monitoring
- Environmental quality monitoring
- REACH registration
- Hazard assessment: assessment of quality of existing test data (including Klimisch scoring/rating), data gap analysis, generation of non-testing data by “read-across” and quantitative structure-activity relationships (QSAR), literature search, preparation of testing proposals and cost estimates, classification and labelling
- Exposure assessment and risk assessment: modelling of occupational exposure and exposure for consumers and the environment (by means of software such as ECETOC TRA, RISKOFDERM, ART, STOFFENMANAGER, EUSES, CHESAR)
- Preparation of technical dossiers: elaboration of Chemical Safety Assessments (CSA), Chemical Safety Reports (CSR) and Exposure Scenarios (ES), filling in of data in IUCLID 5
- Notification of substances of very high concern (SVHC) added to the Candidate List
- Classification and labelling for preparations
- Notification/registration of chemical substances in non-EU jurisdictions (e.g. Turkey, China, Korea, Japan, Canada, Australia, USA).
Together with our international partners, we have experienced and qualified specialists with scientific expertise in human toxicology, aquatic and terrestrial toxicology, and biochemistry.
Our services in this area include the following:
- Laboratory toxicology testing
- Development of environmental standards, including site-specific standards and guidelines
- Toxicological assessments (including evaluation of pharmacokinetic data)
- Peer review of toxicological basis of environmental standards
- Hazard identification (involves determination and identification of chemicals’ health effects)
- Expert witness and legal support)